This is just a space where I will write about the more personal things that I think about or am feeling. Unlike my other blog, Jazzy's Notebook, this isn't something I want to share with the whole world. So why blog about it right? Well, for my entire life I always kept journals. Wrote about my feeling and thoughts and experiences. Then, 2 of the closest people to me, read them, at different points in my life. I do not regret them reading it now. At the time I was so mad I threw all of my journals away. Years of writing gone. So, I turned to blogging. Here it is forever and I can share it or keep it private. Yes, I have random thoughts. I write about books, movies, gardening or whatever else comes to mind on my other blog. If you want light-hearted and easy going, check that one out. Here, I will share my deeper thoughts that are not all pink and easy. I usually keep the deep thoughts inside. I'd like to let them out. So here goes.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Let's talk: Keto books

I am about 7 weeks into my ketogenic life. In that time I have researched the heck out of it. Youtube, books, articles, groups-I've kind of been on keto information overload. I would like to share some things that have really helped me. I wanted to give a friend some tips and realized it is super overwhelming all in one lump sum. So I'll share something new with each post.

If you are interested in what keto is here is the super simple cliff notes version. A ketogenic diet is where you train your body to run on fat instead of sugar/carbs. Why would you want to do this? At first it was about weight loss. I mean, when is it not about that? But quickly that focus changed. I love to run and am planning to run a half marathon in October. What began as weight loss changed to how to optimally train for distance running with minimal need for supplements, fuel or water along the way. With traditional ways of eating (carbs/sugar) you have about 2,000 calories from food at your disposal during workouts. After that you need more. Some runners take gel or bring nuts or something. With a keto way of eating you have 20,000 + stored calories of fat at your disposal. It also helps with any digestion, thyroid, sugar shakes and a whole host of other common ailments. The books I'm recommending can explain this to you WAY better than I can ever hope to. This also may not be for everyone. I have an endomorph body type. My body holds on to carbs for dear life. (no pun intended! LOL) With the absence of carbs now my body has to burn the stored fuel. 

If you are an athlete, train hard, crossfitter than I recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. It goes into great depth about how training and keto work together.

If you want to explore keto without worrying about intense exercise then I recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

Lastly, The Ketogenic Cookbook will open your ideas for meals that are not boring! I can't wait to try one of the ice cream recipes from this book. One of the authors, Maria Emmerich, has a great Facebook page where she shares recipes and more. 

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment